Where Does Himalayan Salt Come From?
Himalayan salt or rock salt is a halite is a type of salt and is similar to common table salt. Chemically it is mineral form of sodium chloride and forms face-centered cubic lattices. The occurrence of rock salt has been stated from around dry lake beds and seas together with the bays and estuaries. It is also found in salt springs and can be excavated from underground mines. Salt is typically colorless or white, but may also be colored ranging from shades of blue to purple to pink, red, orange, yellow or gray. The color depends on the type and amount of impurity present.
- Types Of Salt
There are many different types of salt that are produced by different methods. Generally three ways of getting salt are common :
- Mining, like any other mineral ,as the salt is found as deposits in old underground sea beds. The salt produced this way is mostly rock salt.
- Solution mining is a common method in which the salt solution or brine, from sea beds is evaporated to get salt. Salt produced this way is mostly table salt.
- Harvesting salt by solar evaporation from seawater or salt lakes is also a widely used method. Water is evaporated from shallow pools by wind and the sun, leaving the salt. This method only works in countries like Mediterranean and Australia having low rainfall and full sun.
Water is evaporated from shallow pools by wind and the sun, leaving the salt. This method only works in countries like Mediterranean and Australia having low rainfall and full sun.
- Where Does Himalayan Salt Come From?
Himalayan salt is also a salt which is dig out from deep underground mines and is made up of about 98 percent sodium chloride while the remaining 2% of the salt comprises of trace minerals, mostly transition metals. It can be found in many parts of the world but Pakistan is the only country from where real Himalayan pink salt is obtained. The salt is mined from Khewra Salt Mines of province Punjab, Pakistan. The Khewra Salt Mines are second largest salt mines in the world and are located in the foothills of salt range in Jhelum District about 300 kilometers from the Himalayas. Khewra mines are located 288 meters above sea level. The salt range stretches over 300 km from Beganwala near River Jhelum to Kalabagh near River Sindh.